It is widely accepted through research that children achieve greater learning outcomes when parents are actively engaged in their learning and with their school. Parents can support their children by developing an understanding of their child's learning program at school and through a range of activities such as:
- Reading at home.
- Developing oral language through talking and questioning
- Supporting literacy and numeracy development through day-to-day tasks
- Understanding how concepts are taught at school eg. Mathematics
- Problem-solving through play and exploration
- Establishing daily routines and systems at home
- Setting clear expectations and boundaries